A collection of stupid quotes by people spreading stigma against people with depression. Here’s to hoping that by posting these and declaring them to be ridiculous, these phrases lose a little bit of their power.
- “Why do you listen to your therapist [about how to treat your depression] more than me?” ~someone who is no longer my friend (and perhaps never was)
- “99% percent of people are taking antidepressants as substance abuse.” ~some idiot on Quora
- “Your problem is you need to stop thinking so negatively!” ~yet another clueless person of the internet
- “Why hasn’t [person with depression] apologized to me personally for being sick?” ~another person I won’t talk to after her treatment of one of my best friends who had depression
- “Depression isn’t real.” ~a moronic “Big Brother” contestant on Twitter
What things that people have said to you about your mental health would you put in your “Hall of Shame”?
“As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly.” ~Proverbs 26:11